Chaos Theory is looking for a junior game artist to join our Sydney-based game development studio. This is a 6-month contract with the possibility for extension for the right candidate, starting in November 2022.
The position will see you working alongside the art and development teams on several exciting transformational games and entertainment games.
We are currently working a mix of in-office and remotely. We are open to remote applications but have a preference for applicants based in Sydney or willing to relocate.
Why Chaos Theory
- A role that works with your lifestyle: flexible working hours, a mix of work-from-office and work-from-home, optional 4 or 5-day schedules, a centrally-based office.
- No crunch, no overtime. We have never asked anyone to work on a weekend. You don’t need to justify if you want to take an afternoon off or come in late, so long as you are achieving your goals and supporting your team.
- Create games with impact; go beyond entertainment. We are working on projects to improve primary school education, improve the lives of sufferers with chronic illnesses, educate the next generation of internet users, and more.
- Winner of Serious Game of The Year 2019 and 2021 at the Australian Game Developer Awards.
- Create games that players love! Our games have been downloaded over 70+ million times.
- Got a side project? Awesome! We encourage team members to pursue their personal interests and don’t restrict anyone from working on their own game outside of work.
- Strong company community with regular (and optional) board / video game nights, games club (like book club, but games!), workshops and mentoring opportunities, company-supplied Friday lunches, and other social events.
- We’re invested in your personal growth. We offer 1-on-1 check-ins every fortnight, quarterly goal setting, and personal career roadmaps.
- A small team (~20 people) with many opportunities to shape the projects you work on and the team you work with. Everyone participates in changing our team's processes!
- We've achieved a carbon-negative status by planting over 1,500 trees and using 100% renewable power. Our next goal is to offset the carbon emissions for everyone on our team, both at work and at home.
- We value and nurture an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse team is a resilient team and one that usually comes up with the best ideas!
- Working with other artists to assist with:
- 3D asset production, including: Modelling, Texturing, Rigging, Animating.
- Optimising or repurposing existing assets, including: polygon reduction, adjusting rigs, baking textures.
- Implementing assets in Unity. Creating materials, animation controllers, and prefabs.
- Creating lighting effects and visual effects in Unity.
- Gathering visual reference and creating mood boards and style guides.
- Creating sketches, thumbnails, storyboards, and other low fidelity assets to refine the creative vision.
- (ideally) 1+ years’ experience producing or developing games.
- Proficient with the Adobe Suite and Maya.
- Able to create high-quality, accurate low polygon 3D models and textures based on source material.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A love for games!